NJ Goldston is the Founder and Editor in Chief of the Webby award-winning fashion blog The Blonde and The Brunette and the Managing Partner of Athletic Propulsion Labs (APL). She has been named a "Style Icon" by Louis Vuitton and one of LA's "Leading Ladies of Style" by Angeleno Magazine. She is a member of the Vogue 120, a brand ambassador for Net-A-Porter and the muse of famed jeweler Martin Katz.
- Find your personal style and stick with it. When you have a signature style it’s a sign of confidence that reflects your identity inside and out. I always go for clean, modern lines with a touch of the unexpected. I’ve dubbed myself an “embellished minimalist” with my signature black and white look complimented by my long dark hair, dramatic eyes, and pale lip. However, you will often see me add a pop of color with soft pastels, a bold pink or red.
- Always match your bag to your shoes. This is one of my go-to musts that stands the test of time.
3. Don't be afraid to add some sparkle. What can I say? I love a bit of embellishment. Life’s short. Have fun and don’t save it for nights out.
4. It doesn't all have to be designer. Feel free to mix special vintage pieces with your designer favorites. The key is sometimes a favorite piece needs a rest and then you can pull it back out again.
5. When it doubt, wear black. It doesn’t have to be basic.
6. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. It’s an easier apology than vice-versa.
7. You can't go wrong with white nail polish. It goes with everything.
8. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more is more. Layering and adding accessories can be just the right touch for just the right situation.
9. When in doubt, go for the statement coat or bag. Don’t forget to drape your coat over your shoulders. It’s a classic look that adds tons of drama and slenderizes.
10. Don’t buy something with an occasion in mind. Buy something because you love it, and it will be ready to go when the moment arrives. It’s a great way to live your fashion life. It leaves you open to all sorts of possibilities as well as being able to shop your closet for a big event versus not finding something you love. I’ve found two of my favorite gowns of all time when I wasn’t even looking.